Justin and I discovered that we live less than a mile away from Harmon’s, a neighborhood/local brand/a-little-bit-upscale grocery store. So, we decided to make a visit a few weekends ago. We toured around, awed at the presentation of products, and astounded by the numerous free samples, and amazed at the fresh, on-site, made food there. As we passed the deli, one item caught my eye–orange rosemary chicken. It looked and sounded good, the salesman tried to get us to buy some, but I looked knowingly at Justin and said, “I can make that easily.” Challenge to myself, accepted! (Name that sitcom!)
Now, I’ll let you in on a secret…this is one of the first recipes that I didn’t measure out (or record while I was actually cooking it…oops). The only referring I did was for oven temperature and cook time.
2 chicken breasts
1 naval orange
1/2 cup milk
1 cup orzo (this would also go very well with orange zest-flavored risotto)
1/2 red pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 350*.
2) Slice up the orange. Put 4 slices in the bottom of a glass 9×9 pan.
3) Begin to boil the orzo with a slice of orange in the water.
4) Pound out your chicken breasts.
5) Mix the egg and milk together. Dip the chicken in this (I find this better holds breading on rather than just milk or just egg or just butter).
6) Mix the breadcrumbs and rosemary together (this is the biggest part that I just eyeballed). Put in as much rosemary as you’d like. Dip the chicken in and press the chicken to make sure the breading gets on the bottom. Flip it over and the same with the other side.
7) Place the chicken on top of the orange slices in the glass pan and top with more orange slices. Squeeze the end of the orange on top for added juice.
8) Cook for 35 minutes.
9) When the orzo is done, drain it, and squeeze more orange juice on it.
10) Chop up the red pepper and mix in with the orzo.
11) When the chicken is done, plate on the orzo. You can either keep the cooked orange slices on to eat, or as garnish, or serve without.
12) With the unused pieces of orange, give to your baby/toddler to enjoy!