Tater tots are some fo the best things in the world. Seriously. I love eating any tater tot. McDonalds and Chick-fil-a have amazing tots for breakfast. And, Sonic’s tots are to die for…especially their chili cheese tots (they were one of my favorite cravings when I was pregnant with Rhys).
I was recently craving tots…no I’m not pregnant. But, I didn’t want to have just plain old tots. I also really wanted shepherd’s pie. So, I decided to make shepherd’s pie with tots.
When I was a kid, I remember my mom making it a lot. I would always eat the inside first and save the tots and cheese for the last. Best for last after all. I was super excited to make this recipe for me and my boys.
Justin really enjoyed it, as did Rhys. He typically doesn’t enjoy the texture of tots–he loves fries, but doesn’t like hashbrowns or tots. But, Rhys ate his entire portion of tator tot casserole.
Craving tots? Who doesn't? Make this easy tater tot casserole tonight! Click To Tweet
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 c corn
- 1/2 c peas
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom (or cream of chicken) soup
- 1 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 packet of frozen tater tots
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 450*.
- Brown the beef and add in garlic salt, parsley, Montreal seasoning, and soy sauce.
- Mix in peas, corn, and soup.
- Pout into an 8x8 casserole dish. Pour 1 cup of shredded cheese over the meat mixture.
- Place tots in a row on top. You may not use the entire packet. Sprinkle the last 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Cook in oven for about 40 minutes.
Time to brag a bit…I feel I’m getting so good at my food photography. Seriously good. Well, at least much, much, much, much better than when I first started posting recipes 5 years ago! (Don’t go looking for those…they aren’t pretty.)
Here’s another fact…and I’m a little embarrassed about this one: there wasn’t any left over. Yes, I made an 8×8 pan. Yes, there is only just and me and little Rhys. (Yes, I packed a lunch for Justin before serving ourselves.) But, Justin and I both had large seconds. Man. Those tots. Tots and cheese make everything taste so delicious!
Have you made tater tot casserole before? Do you prefer it or shepherd’s pie? What is your favorite recipe that includes tater tots?