A Type A Personality’s Thoughts on Being a SAHM

Last week, I had a bad, bad cold (viral upper respiratory infection), as did Rhys. I didn’t have any more PTO (since I didn’t have much to begin with as a part-time teacher), so I continued to work the whole week, always wishing I, or Rhys, had a fever so I’d have an excuse to stay home and rest and recover. That didn’t happen.

Thankfully, I had a good, busy, albeit still restful, weekend. Rhys was also feeling better, even though the poor boy was still coughing and super stuffed up. But, he was doing a great job with naps–at least 2 two-hour naps from Fri-Sun!!! And he even slept through the night once! I was ready to go back to school and get caught up on grades and lesson plans, then I got a text from my babysitter.

Her kid had croup. I didn’t want Rhys to get any more viral infections, so I asked my mom to watch him. She, and most of my family were going to a distant relative’s funeral. I asked my visiting teacher: her kids were sick, too. So, I had to stay home with Rhys yesterday.

And, I really enjoyed it!

But, backing up….

Although I’m very thankful for the situation we’re in: a good, flexible part-time job for me, a full-time, flexible job for Justin, a great babysitter, and family close by, I’ve started to not enjoy being a part-time working mom. Especially since I work smack-dab in the middle of the day (11AM-4PM)! It makes it very hard for me to pay attention to Rhys’s growing and changing cues. From Month 1, we had a really good 3 hour “eat, play, sleep” schedule. But, once he hit four months, his naps started changing, and his sleep habits regressed, and sometimes he just wasn’t hungry and at others, starving. I started wishing I worked in the mornings (7:30AM-noon). During Thanksgiving Break, I tried really hard to pay attention to his cues, rather than stick to a 3 hour schedule. I knew he was ready to graduate from that. But, 3 days wasn’t really enough. This past week, mainly because I wanted more sleep in the morning, I didn’t wake Rhys up at 7 on the dot. I let him wake up on his own. It was anywhere between 6:30-7:45. On Saturday, he woke up at 8:10AM–that was the longest I had slept in since before he was born! This whole weekend, he was on a kind of 3.5-4 hour schedule with awkward bedtimes (due to parties and family dinners). He slept 2 hours for 2 naps, and maybe an 1 hour for a third. I liked this schedule. But, to continue that, when I drop him off and pick him up would be disrupting a nap! That’s why I wish I worked in the morning.

Well, I’m a Type A. I like to have things planned out. I thrive on schedules. But, as you can see, changing a growing baby’s schedule while you work in the middle of the day, is hard to do. That’s why I’m trying to be a little more lenient for wake time. I’m trying to break out of my shell and let Rhys do some leading now. We’ll still stick to a routine…sleep, eat, play…but, I want to accommodate his body’s needs and changes.

I’m also a work-a-holic. I guess that’s why I decided to still teach this year, and that’s why I’ve always worked during the summers. I don’t want to be bored and glued to my laptop 24/7 (I already spend way too much time on it).

But, yesterday was fun.

Rhys and I got up at 7:45 and we both ate while sending in lesson plans for substitutes. We played together, rolled over on the floor, crawled over obstacles, then I put him down for a nap. did some laundry while he was napping, and cleaned a bit, and caught up on blogs a bit. Then, he woke up, and we had some mushed peas and a bottle, then played some more. We had a dance party while getting dressed for the day, taking our sweet time doing so and laughing the whole time. Then, we rolled around on the floor some more until it was time for his second nap. I cleaned the kitchen, made myself a lunch, meal planned, and watched Part 1 of The Red Tent , did more laundry, and caught up on more blogs. Justin came home, Rhys woke up and was given a bottle by Justin while I went to Wal-Mart. We played a new ball for Rhys, Face-timed Justin’s parents, and had dinner. Then, it was bathtime, more play time, and bed time. A very slow-paced, lally-gagging, take your own sweet time sort of day. The type of day I typically loathe and dread. But, I really, really, really enjoyed it. Because I took time to enjoy playing with my son. And doing things for me. And knowing it would all get done in time. Because I wasn’t worrying about grades or students or lesson plans.

Justin asked me how I liked my day and if I could do it again everyday.

My answer: I loved it and I can’t wait to have days like these everyday next year. I can’t wait to be a SAHM.

(If you didn’t already know, I’ve previously made a decision that I will not be returning to work next school year.)

Tayler is a work at home mom. She does free lance articles and dabbles in graphic design and virtual assisting for bloggers. She spent 3 years as a history and English teacher. Her passions are her husband, two children, history, reading, nature, and her Savior, Jesus Christ.


  1. I would like to, but right now, I feel it's more important for me to finally get the swing of being a home-making wife and the mom that I feel my baby boy needs. Probably not until at least my youngest is old enough to go to school….but my dream job is being a history professor, so who knows. That may happen instead, since within two years I will be taking grad school classes, one at a time.

  2. I was nervous to stay at home because I was really the worst babysitter ever. I hate watching other people's kids. But I still very rarely feel bored when I'm home with Zoe. It's so much more rewarding than anything I could have ever imagined. I'm glad that you have the option to stay home to. Not that every woman has to do that, but I just wish every one could if they wanted to ya know?

Comments are closed.