One of my strengths has always been my time-management. I pride myself on it and have been complemented on that skill by numerous people.
But, the past two weeks, all that has disappeared, try as I might to hold it in!
These were my plans for the summer:
– move and 100% set up the house and keep up with the house work
– give birth and be an awesome mom
– transfer the unit plans I lost on my school computer when it died a horrible death from my unit binders back to my laptop
Well, I was super naive. Like, super naive!!!
I didn’t realize that I’d be breast feeding every 2-2.5 hours and that each feeding would take about 30-40 minutes! Sheesh!
|Coolest thing about this picture: that is exactly how I slept as a kid–one leg crossed at the knee!
It’s been a blessing to have my mom help me the past week and a half while Justin is at school and work. But, she’s gone back to work, and I’m thinking, how in the world am I going to do it?
I feel I’ve done a pretty good job with keeping up on social media now that we have internet. The house, for the most part, stays clean, but I feel like I am constantly doing laundry–Rhys likes to pee through his diapers–, dishes, and picking up random little things! I thought I’d have plenty of time for reading, but I think, besides skimming through the baby books, I’ve only read about 10 pages in one of my novels in the past week! And, I haven’t even started organizing/preparing my unit plans!
But, I’m learning to go with the flow, and listen to Rhys’s demands, which has started to create its own routine..
– Take advantage of Justin still being home and quickly shower/get dressed
– Read blogs while breastfeeding and catch up on social media
– Clean and chores while Rhys sleeps
– Wish I had a tablet or ebooks while feeding Rhys because I can’t hold him and an actual book. So, instead, watch a movie or read articles on the internet.
– Nap while he naps
– Study the baby books
– Switch off preparing dinner with Justin
– Watch a movie with Justin as I breastfeed and as Rhys sleeps
– Take a walk with Rhys to let him soak in sunlight
-Tummy time, bath time, feed Rhys and put him and myself to bed
– Feed him every 3-3.5 hours and play mind-invigorating games on my iPhone to make feedings go quicker
– Go right back to sleep when he’s done, regardless of where I am in the game
Right now, during the day, we are on a 2-2.5 hour routine and at night, a 3-3.5 hour routine. Rhys is getting much better at going back to sleep and staying asleep at night. So, I am having more energy during the day. He is sloooowly getting better at waking up more during the day. Hopefully, as we …..
oh, wait…Rhys is waking up, time to feed him….
Ok, back. See, what I mean?
Hopefully, as the days continue, I’ll be able to get more and more done. But, the summer is quickly wrapping up, and even though I have 4 weeks of maternity leave once the school year starts, and I’m only working part-time, it still makes me wonder exactly how much I’ll be able to get done in a day….
I am slowly becoming ok with just going with the flow and not worrying about how much reading or planning I’m able to do in a day. If all I’ve accomplished is 1 load of laundry, 5 pages of What to Expect The First Year, and two movies on Hulu, then so be it. Regardless of the amount of productiveness, I am so happy to put all of my need-to-get-done’s, and want-to-do’s aside and just watch and talk to Rhys for hours on end. I love my baby boy!
If you liked that, you'll love these!