Memorial Day Weekend

Justin and I were so glad for this weekend. It has been the first weekend that has been long and that we haven’t needed to go out of town.

Friday started with my mom watching Rhys up at her house in Farmington while Justin and I worked. I was super productive on this short day–able to get all the rest of my lessons for the year planned, printed, copied, and prepped! So, all the work I have to do for the rest of the year is grading!

Now, since the 25th is my dad’s birthday, we decided to take him out to dinner when he got off work. My dad spent his LDS mission in Tokyo, Japan when he was 19-21 years old, so we wanted to take him to a ramen shop. (We love pho anyway, and had wanted to go to an authentic ramen shop for a while.) We went to Tosh’s Ramen and were quickly served, even though it was absolutely packed! And, as soon as we were seated, the line went out the door!

Although we went to a ramen shop, Dad ended up getting curry, instead.
This was my ramen. It was good, and I couldn’t actually believe I was willingly eating pork BELLY! But, in all honesty, I prefer the lightness of pho, to the hearty, thick ramen.

Justin got spicy ramen and finished it all up!

Our appetizer was sweet and spicy Tokyo wings. It was delicious! The perfect amount of tangy and mild spice! Mmmh!

After dinner, we traded Dad for Rhys, who had had the time of his life (as always) at Grandma’s.

On Saturday, we cleaned the house and went to Costco for diapers and formula…we’ll be so glad we are weaning Rhys off formula in two months when he turns 1! It was mostly a do-whatever-we-wanted day, but ten we went to the park in the evening, between storms!

Sunday, Justin and I were both super exhausted–we have no idea why! Thankfully, church didn’t start until 1pm! It was also my first week teaching in my new calling–Sunbeams (Sunday School for 3-4 year olds). It is tough to come up with a spiritual lesson, game, and coloring page for “I am Thankful for Ears” that lasts 45 minutes!

We had a delicious dinner of Taco Stew, which Rhys really liked. Then, it was gorgeous, again, so we decided to go to a new park! This one had swings, which I have been waiting for months to put Rhys on for the first time!

He held on like this the entire time!

Kick! Kick!

And, of course, we have to try to eat the swing.

And, that is as far as he went in the tunnel…it scared him, badly.

During Memorial Day, we didn’t get to sleep in. Justin went golfing with my Uncle, so he woke up early to leave. And, of course, Mommas never sleep in when baby boys get up at 7am. We went on a morning run, and almost got caught in the rain! It very lightly sprinkled for only 5 minutes, thankfully.

It was another, do whatever we wanted day. For dinner, we made an All-American meal: Justin’s homemade bacon burgers, which someday, I’ll convince him to put the recipe up, homemade potato salad, baked beans, Jello, and homemade lemonade. We invited our new neighbors, who are old friends, Garrett and Heather over for dinner. It was grand talking and visiting and laughing.

We had such a nice, relaxing weekend. And, I can’t wait until all my days are like this in two weeks!

What did you do for Memorial Weekend?

Tayler is a work at home mom. She does free lance articles and dabbles in graphic design and virtual assisting for bloggers. She spent 3 years as a history and English teacher. Her passions are her husband, two children, history, reading, nature, and her Savior, Jesus Christ.

  • So fun! My husband LOVES ramen and we did not know a place existed in Salt Lake to get some, so we will definitely be checking that out! And I can't believe how big Rhys is getting!

  • I'm glad you had a great weekend! It looks like a lot of fun!

    There's an amazing ramen place near my town that is to DIE for. I LOVE IT. I keep telling Chris we need to go there, but we keep not having time. You have to get there before they open at 6 to get your name on the list or you'll never get a table.

  • You should totally go! But go before 6!

  • That's how it was for us! My dad was just getting off work, and my hubby and I are used to earlier dinners (around 5:30ish) because Rhys goes to bed at 7:30. So, we got there right before the out-of-the-door dinner rush!