September was a blur. Sadly, it didn’t feel like fall at all–it was just an extension of summer. Yuck, Texas. There were quite a few ups and downs. None really too far, but it was quite a hilly ride. Hitting (or not hitting) my goals this month, my physical and mental health, finances, etc.
Styling | I am creating our Halloween costumes. Well, not “creating” them, but putting them together–compiling them. I’m super excited to share with you what Rhys wanted us to be! I’m also styling myself, trying to be better at getting dressed up every day.
Saving | Money! I wish. I need to. I’m also saving lots of ideas on Pinterest for things I want to do around the house.
Searching | For my why, when, how, and what to complete my goals, to be better. Searching for time to do more as a family outside of the house without stressing about bedtimes.
Picking | I’d love to go to an orchard or something and pick some fresh produce. But that’s probably not going to happen. Hopefully we can go to a pumpkin patch later this month so we can pick a pumpkin.
Making | I’m making our Halloween costumes. I’m making some yummy meals because it’s fall. I’m making memories with my kids by being electronic free and weaning Rhys off the Wii-U.
Justin is Currently…
He went out of town for almost a week to a big meeting for representatives of all the big tractor/construction companies. He participated a lot in discussions and help plan out some new programming and reporting systems for the data analysts and sales managers. He has not been happy with BYU’s football time this season.
I am Currently…
Going back on my anti-depressant. I had some medical issues going off it that I’ll mention below. I’m still trying to find a good groove of balance and routine with VIPKids, blogging, being a mommy, a wife, keeping the house clean, and having a social life.
Rhys is Currently…
Almost ready to start Speech Therapy! We finished paperwork. We’ve had the evaluation and the social observation. Now we just have to have the plan and goals meeting and we can sign off on his “IEP”! Rhys also got an IKEA Kura loft bed. It’s a twin size, so he looks so small in it now!
Evelyn is Currently…
Holy cow! She is trying to walk–at nine months!!! She can do about 2-4 steps before stumbling and falling! My goodness girl! Slow down! She is also starting to refuse eating. Sigh. Her newfound independence is really difficult. At least with Rhys, when he hit that stage, we were able to distract him and he’d still automatically open his mouth. Not with Evelyn–she’s too smart for that. She has at least one tooth coming in. She is now sleeping in the crib, not the pack-n-play, and is sleeping through the night!
GBOMB (Good, Bad, On My Brain)
- Time Out for Women was absolutely amazing. I was so revitalized and uplifted by the wonderful women and incredible spirit that was present. It was also so fun to go with some friends from my church. I learned more about Grace from Brad Wilcox, who write a lot on the topic. I also did some deep thinking and reflection and really want to focus on me–on bettering myself as a disciple and a minister.
- Speech Therapy is finally going through. I am so happy that this is happening for Rhys! I just have to keep in mind not to expect immediate results.
- I hit 100 days teaching with VIPKid. I absolutely love this company and am so grateful I found it.
- We went to Hurricane Harbor, the water park adjacent to Six Flags Over Texas. It was the first time we went, and the last opportunity we had to do so with our dual season pass before it closed for the season. Evelyn is such a water baby. Her favorite was being in her floatie just kicking down the lazy river. Justin and I took turns going on rides with Rhys. He had so much fun as well.
- Justin and I have been loving rewatching the anime Bleach. We both watched it as teens, but it is one of those animes that just goes on and on and on and on and on….so we never finished it. Well, now we want to. Because, we love to watch anime (or other childhood favorites) and analyze them as adults, especially looking at tropes!
- General Conference is always uplifting too. I loved taking a few notes that really stuck out to me. A lot of it seemed to be on how to not be an “average” disciple. I’m motivated both religiously and secularly.
- My church had book club last week. We read Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book. Gaiman mentions or alludes to many different European myths, legends, history, and creatures. So, I had to explain the significance of a lot of parts. I loved doing so. I love these book club meetings. They aren’t as super deep or analytical as the ones I used to attend with Bonnie, Sierra, and Danica back in Utah, but it’s so fun to just have a girls night and talk books and life with my new friends.
- While Justin was gone, I used our IKEA family member card to do a buy one get one free ticket to Legoland in Grapevine, Texas. It’s a very small LegoLand. But, Rhys had an absolute blast. We are thinking about doing a dual season pass to the LegoLand and Aquarium right next to it for next year. We also went to a duck pond and Rhys loved feeding the big geese bread crumbs.
- We got to eat dinner with my Uncle. He lives in Utah, but with his realty business, he is able to come to Dallas about once a month (I’m still not really sure why…something with networking and conferences, I think). Rhys loved playing with him (we went to a restaurant that had a porch to eat and a big sand lot for kids to play) and Doug absolutely doted on Evelyn–he has two grown-up sons but no daughters.
- One more month until my brother gets home from his mission!!!
- Although my brother gets home from his mission at the beginning of November, I won’t be able to see him until we fly out to Utah for Christmas. =(
- Both Elder Hales and President Monson were unable to attend General Conference because of health reasons. God bless them.
- I had some major health issues after going off my anti-depressant. I got super fatigued easily. And, my arms and legs would easily go numb–not pins and needles asleep–painful numbness. Even if I was putting pressure on any of limbs, sometimes my hands would still go numb. It got really bad when I had to hold Evelyn, or sit and teach or when I went running with the stroller, or even trying to play on the Wii-U. My PCP told me to go back on my medication and see if that helped anything or I’d have to see a neurologist. I’ve been back on for about two weeks and it’s much better, but I’m still having some instances. So, we’ll see where we go from here.
- My parents were supposed to come while Justin was out of town earlier this month. But, the night before their flight, as my mom was checking in, she realized she booked the flights backwards…instead of flying INTO Dallas, she booked it to fly OUT of Dallas. So, hours later, they were able to get Delta Credit, but not able to fix their flights. Thankfully, they were able to use that credit for a shorter time later this month.
- It never seems like we can get ahead with money. Sigh.
On My Mind
- Preschool. I so desperately want Rhys to be able to go to a preschool, and a quality one too. But, I don’t know if we can afford it every month. Plus, to be honest, my biggest fear is his speech delay. I don’t want him to be mislabeled just because he has trouble making himself understood. I mean, during his speech evaluation, he scored as a 5-6 year old with receptive communication. He is brilliant! He just can say sounds or words correctly. I want his teacher and classmates to be able to understand him, not only for their sakes, but for his sake too.
- Puerto Rico. And all the Caribbean islands that were completely devastated by the hurricanes. I mean, yes, Florida and Texas were hit absolutely terribly as well. But, at least they can easily get help from other Floridians, Texans, and relief groups. These islander are running out of fresh water! Hospitals are completely destroyed, power companies aren’t working, food, supplies, shelter, water are all running out. And, they are basically stranded since many boats and planes are destroyed. And then there is Trump. I hate to get political on the blog, but I hate him. Puerto Rico is ours. They are American citizens. And Trump is basically telling them to do a better job of fending for themselves. What a terrible president to turn his back on people who are dying and belong to the nation he claims to care about or want to “make great again.” Well, he’s doing an absolute fantastic job of it (***SARCASM****)
- Balance. How do I do it. I’ve already gotten rid of freelancing and virtual assisting, and I’m only teaching when my kids are asleep. I only have a 1200 square foot apartment. How come it’s so hard to keep up with housework, my health, being present and educating my kids, a tender loving and attentive wife, and have a social life?
- I am really enjoying Fuller House on Netflix! I tried to get into the third season of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt but it’s kind of lost its flavor. I was pleased that Dino won MasterChef. I had called the top three and I wanted either Dino or Jason to win. I acknowledge that Eboni was an amazing cook, but I just don’t like her. I’m also loving this season of Project Runway and the twins annoy me to death!
What is life currently like for you right now? What is going on? What is on your brain?