I thought I had a word of the year – “present.” It was perfect. I was going to focus on being “present” in my life, present with my kids, present with contentment, etc. But, then a few weeks ago, “create” came to my mind. It seemed absolutely perfect. I want to be able to create actual products this year. But, create can also encompass things I’d list under “present”: create time with my family, create a stronger relationship with Christ, etc.
Last year was hard – hard physically, hard mentally, just hard. This year, I want to come out into the light. I want to be happy with my life. I want to live all aspects of my life. I want to flourish. So, I’m going to create.
Create means to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes.
Creating requires us to work. It requires us to think. It requires us to be unique. I want that for my life. I want to create a life worth living. I want to make the most of my life this year.Create a life worth living. #wordoftheyear2018 Click To Tweet
Create your own happiness.
Happiness doesn’t just happen on its own. It takes work. I have suffered anxiety my entire life and depression the past few years. I choose to be happy this year. I choose to create my attitude. I choose to act and not be acted upon.
Details create the BIG picture.
Hence, the planner. I love planning. I will never give it up. The past four years I’ve had a different planner. I’ve loved all of them, but they were all missing something. I decided to take a leap of faith and start a bullet journal this year. I’m not super creative when it comes to “hand-art”. And, I’m not going to try to be Pinterest-perfect. But, I am going to have all the details in one place this year–my bullet journal.
Creativity is NOT competition. Stay true to you.
Like I said, my bullet journal is not going to be perfect. But, it will cause me to create. I want to work on and build this blog. But, I don’t expect to become famous or earn a lot of money. I want to reopen my Etsy shop, but I won’t worry about how many sales I make or don’t make. I want to create opportunities for my family but I’m not going to worry about making them overly-creative. I’m going to do me and me only.Creativity is NOT competition. Stay true to YOU! #wordoftheyear2018 Click To Tweet
You were created to create.
I truly believe this statement. We are literal sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father, after all. Creating is sacred. I was given talents and I want to work on them. I won’t get any better with graphic design if I don’t try. I won’t get any better at making fun games and cute crafts for my son if I don’t practice. I won’t get any better at my relationships if I don’t try to be unique and creative with them.
Life isn’t about FINDING yourself. Life is about CREATING yourself.
I’ve tried to be introspective many times the past few years. I’ve tried to let things fall into place. That’s not working any more. I need to create myself. I’m going to jump in and live rather than plan, plan, plan.
These are the areas I’m going to work on creating. I created a big mind map in my bullet journal, but I will share with you just some of my overall goals/resolutions for the year.Life isn't about FINDING yourself--it's about CREATING yourself. #create #wordoftheyear2018 Click To Tweet
Create a happier, healthier me
- Lose baby weight (upwards of 50 pounds). I realize this may take longer than this year, but I want to work my butt off
- Run at least four 5Ks
- Smile more
- Get dressed up more often
- Less Pepsi and junk food
Create a closer relationship with God
- Attend the temple at least once every other month
- Daily scripture reading
- Daily prayer
- Read at least one Deseret Book a month
- Always attend all three hours of church unless sick
Create a more intimate marriage
- Go on a date once a month
- More flirting
- Less electronics or TV time after kids go to bed
- More small acts of service
- Use season passes for SeaQuest and Legoland at Grapevine Mills
- Discover more restaurants, parks, campgrounds, trails, playgrounds
Create a big savings
- Work butt off with VIPKID
- Work down Mazda payments
- Build up a down-payment for a future house
Create a happy and close family
- Help Rhys be successful with preschool and speech
- Get professional family pictures this year
- More family walks and trips to the park
- Less TV and more intentional playtime
- Family Home Evening more often
- Reopen Etsy shop
- Make at least two prints a month
- Take an Adobe programs workshop or class
- Take a photography workshop or class
- Create rather than use templates
Create a successful blog business
- Get at least 1000 followers on each social media channel (already there with Pinterest)
- Create an email list
- Blog at least twice a week
- Host a swap
- Create a professional freelancing portfolio